- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shortcut bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g beef mince
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (40g) grated parmesan
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes with basil
- 375g spaghetti
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- Step 1Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and half the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Step 2Combine onion mixture, mince, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs and parmesan in a bowl. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on a large plate.
- Step 3Heat remaining oil in pan over medium-low heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to plate.
- Step 4Increase heat to medium. Add remaining onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return meatballs to pan. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Step 5Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions until tender. Drain. Divide spaghetti between bowls. Spoon over meatballs and sprinkle with parmesan. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Cook pasta in water with green food colouring for a radioactive look.
Serve cooked meatballs on skewers for sticks of gory brains.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas