- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans soybeans (see note), rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup (25g) freshly grated parmesan
- 4 slices grilled or toasted sourdough bread
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, thyme and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add carrot, celery, tomato and 1/2 cup (125ml) water, then bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Add the beans, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes until vegetables are tender, then simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 2Divide bean ragu among serving bowls, scatter with extra thyme and grated parmesan, then serve with toast.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
From health food shops and supermarkets (or use cannellini beans).
- Author: Louise Pickford
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au