- 400g chicken tenderloins, cut into 1cm-thick strips
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 60ml (1/4 cup) kecap manis
- 100g dried rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small leek, white part only, washed, thinly sliced
- 80g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100g snow peas, trimmed, halved
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Step 1Combine the chicken, ginger and 1 tablespoon of kecap manis in a bowl. Place noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 6 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Step 2Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add half the oil and heat until smoking. Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 3Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining oil and leek to the wok or frying pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the mushroom, snow peas and stock, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken and noodles. Simmer for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander, mint and remaining kecap manis. Ladle among serving bowls.
Shopping tip: You’ll find chicken tenderloins – strips from the underside of the breast – near the chicken breast fillets at Woolworths.
With a twist: Soy & ginger pork in coconut noodle broth Replace the chicken with pork stir-fry strips. Replace the dried rice noodles with fresh hokkien noodles. Replace the mint with chopped fresh basil. Reduce the stock to 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock. Add a 400ml can coconut milk with the stock in step 3.
- Author: Anna Phillips
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste