- 200g (1 cup) long-grain white rice
- 2 nori sheets (toasted seaweed)
- 2 spring onions, trimmed
- 350g Heart Smart beef fillet, thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 (140g) green capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 (140g) red capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 227g can bamboo shoots, drained, sliced
- 1 150g pkt fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Step 1Cook rice in a saucepan of salted boiling water, following packet directions, extending cooking time by 2-3 minutes so rice is glutinous and sticky. Drain. Divide into 8 equal portions. Use damp hands to shape each portion into a ball. Use scissors to cut nori into eight 3cm-wide strips. Wrap each rice ball in a strip of nori. Wet ends with water, press to seal.
- Step 2Meanwhile, remove stems from spring onions and thinly slice diagonally. Thinly slice spring onion bulbs into quarters.
- Step 3Heat a wok over high heat. Add beef, soy sauce and sugar, stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil. Add capsicums and spring onions to wok. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Add bamboo shoots and mushrooms, stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Add beef mixture, stir-fry until heated through. Serve with nori rice.
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
leftovers: Use rice in menu 1’s main. Use nori in stir-fries. Use soy sauce in this menu’s entree. Use bamboo shoots in Asian-style salads.
- Author: Jane Charlton
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste