- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 800g beef rump steak, trimmed, thinly sliced
- Rice bran oil spray
- 1 large red onion, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Udon noodle stir-fry
- 270g packet dried udon noodles
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 425g can baby corn spears, drained, halved lengthways
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, halved
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- You'll need 12 pre-soaked bamboo skewers.
- Step 1Combine soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and sugar in a large bowl. Add beef. Toss to combine. Cover, refrigerate for 3 hours, if time permits.
- Step 2Spray a chargrill pan with rice bran oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Thread beef and onion alternately onto skewers. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook skewers for 8 to 10 minutes, turning, or until browned and cooked through.
- Step 3Meanwhile, make stir-fry Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until just tender. Drain. Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add capsicum, broccoli and corn. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add snow peas. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add sesame oil, lemon juice and noodles. Cook. stirring, for 1 minute or until combined.
- Step 4Serve skewers on stir-fry.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Threading the meat onto skewers is a great task for younger children to help with.
Super saver: Use budget rump steak and save around $3.97 in total.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas