Author Notes: This is one of the first things I make as soon as anything remotely resembling summer hits. It’s a cross between a pickle and a salad really, since it only takes a couple of hours for the flavours to develop from start to finish. Have it with your favorite Asian saucy noodles, dumplings, even pork belly baos (I’ve shared a recipe for that too). —Coco et Cocoa
Makes: 2 cups0
Smashed Cucumber Salad in a JarPrint Recipe
- 6 Persian cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons rock sugar, substitute raw sugar if needed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 Thai red chilies, optional
- Cut the cucumbers into thirds of their length. Smash them with the blade of the knife to break them open. Transfer the cucumbers into a large bowl and add the salt. Toss, then let them sweat for 5 minutes.
- Meanchile , smash chop the garlic.
- After 5 minutes, squeeze the excess moisture from the cucumbers. Then, rinse them under cold water to wash off the extra salt. Then, squeeze them dry again.
- Place the cucumbers, garlic, and remaining ingredients in a jar, cover tight with the lid, and shake it like you’re a bubble tea Batista.
- Chill in the fridge for 1-4 hours before serving. Overnight is fine as well, but the color will turn darker. Serve with a couple drops with sesame oil stirred in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
Leave a Reply