- 1.5kg-2kg Coles Australian Beef rib eye roast bone in, at room temperature for 1 hour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 20g butter, plus more to butter the baking dish
- 500g trimmed mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 800g brushed potatoes, peeled, sliced into 5mm discs
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 75g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Step 1To roast the beef, place an oven rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 100C. Place the beef on a large, heavy, rimmed baking tray. Coat the beef with ½ tbs of the oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast the beef for 2 1/4 -2 1/2 hours, depending on the size, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the centre of the meat (do not touch the bone) reads 55C for rare doneness. Remove the beef from the oven and let rest, uncovered, for 30 mins.
- Step 2Increase the oven temperature to 250C. Return the beef to the oven. Roast for 15 mins or until the beef is deeply caramelised. Transfer the beef to a carving board to rest for 15 mins. Maintain the oven temperature.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to prepare the potatoes, lightly butter a 25cm x 25cm x 5cm baking dish. Heat a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter and remaining 1 tbs oil and stir until the butter has melted. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins or until deeply caramelised. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the potatoes, cream, garlic and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for 15 mins or until the potatoes are just tender but not falling apart.
- Step 4Using a slotted spoon, transfer half the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half the cheese over the potatoes. Lightly season with freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the remaining potato mixture over the cheese. Using the back of the spoon, lightly compact the potatoes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the potato mixture and season with freshly cracked pepper. Bake for 10 mins or until the mixture is bubbling and the cheese has browned. Set aside to rest for 5 mins.
- Step 5Cut the ribs into four pieces and serve with the potato-mushroom bake sprinkled with the thyme leaves.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Don’t forget to rest your roast – this redistributes the juices and makes the meat even more succulent.
- Author: Curtis Stone
- Image credit: (N/A)
- Publication: Coles