- 1/2 cup (35g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup (70g) prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1kg rolled beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 small brown onions, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) Massel beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) madeira (see note)
- Step 1Preheat oven to 150°c. Combine the breadcrumbs, prunes and pistachios in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Remove the string from beef and unroll meat on a clean work surface. Spoon stuffing over beef. Re-roll to enclose filling. Use white kitchen string to secure.
- Step 3Heat oil in a deep roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until brown all over. Add onions and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from heat. add stock and madeira. Cover pan tightly with two layers of foil to enclose filling. Roast for 21/2 hours or until beef is very tender. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Step 4Transfer meat to a clean work surface. Use a sharp knife to carve into slices. Drizzle with pan juices. Serve immediately with onions.
- High protein
- Low carb
Madeira is a fortified portuguese wine.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: Notebook: