- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, cut into thick wedges
- 750g piece beef blade roast
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved crossways, quartered lengthways
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 900g sebago potatoes
- 29g sachet mushroom and garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Step 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer to the bowl of a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add beef to pan. Cook, turning, for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned all over. Place in slow cooker with carrots, mustard, garlic, thyme and stock. Cover. Turn slow cooker to low. Cook for 8 hours or until beef is tender.
- Step 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Peel and roughly chop potatoes. Place on prepared tray. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with paprika. Toss to coat. Bake potatoes for the last 1 hour of beef cooking time.
- Step 3Transfer beef and vegetables from cooker to a baking dish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Step 4Meanwhile, place mushroom sauce sachet with 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Stir mushroom sauce mixture into cooking liquid in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Strain sauce. Serve sliced beef with vegetables and gravy.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas