- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour, to dust
- 2 x 1.2kg whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 3 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) marsala
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 plums, halved, stone removed
- Step 1Place flour on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Toss chicken in flour mixture to coat. Shake off excess.
- Step 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook one-third of the chicken, turning occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with 2 tablespoons of remaining oil and remaining chicken.
- Step 3Heat the remaining oil in the dish over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until golden. Add the marsala. Bring to a simmer, scraping with a flat-edged wooden spoon to dislodge any bits that have cooked onto the base. Add chicken, stock, vinegar and rosemary. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Step 4Add plum. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until softened slightly. Skim any fat from the surface. Divide among plates.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Leanne Kitchen
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste