- 6 pieces (about 1kg) gravy beef, halved
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, thickly sliced diagonally
- 3 celery stalks, thickly sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups Massel beef stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes with oregano and basil
- 2 medium zucchini, thickly sliced diagonally
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 150C (130C fan-forced). Toss beef in flour to coat, shake off excess. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-based flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with half of the remaining oil and the remaining beef. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2Heat remaining oil in dish. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add wine. Simmer for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Add stock, beef and tomato. Cover. Bring to the boil.
- Step 3Bake for 2 hours. Add the thickly sliced zucchini. Bake for about another hour or until beef is tender. Stir in thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Serve with mashed potato.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kim Coverdale, Food editor – Super Food Ideas
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Taste.com.au