Author Notes: Okra, cornmeal, oil, salt. That’s it. As always, take care (and wear shoes!) when deep frying. —BTE —Big Tex Eats
cups fresh okra, washed and sliced into 1/2 inch coins
cup white cornmeal
peanut oil for deep frying
- Place the sliced okra in a large bowl filled with cold water and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove okra from water, drain (okra may feel sticky, but don’t rinse; this is what will bind the cornmeal to each piece), and toss (one small batch at a time) into the cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, heat several inches of oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot. Drop in one cornmeal coated okra coin to test oil; if it sizzles the oil is hot enough.
- Fry the okra in small batches until golden brown.
- Remove using a long handled slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt while still hot and serve.
1 of 2
2 of 2