- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, halved, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1kg lady christl potatoes or sebago potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 thick pork sausages
- Step 1Heat half the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and caramelised. Add vinegar and tomato. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until tomato has softened.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook potato in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan over low heat. Mash. Add garlic and remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 3Spray a barbecue plate or chargrill with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with onion mixture and mashed potato.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Super saver: Use 3 chopped roma tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes and save around $1.85 in total.
- Author: Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: Super Food Ideas