- olive oil cooking spray
- 4 lean beef sausages
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthways, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 250g grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1/3 cup 99% fat-free natural yoghurt
- Step 1Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly spray sausages with oil. Cook sausages, turning often, for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a board. Cut sausages diagonally into 1cm-thick slices. Cover and set aside.
- Step 2Spray pan with oil and return to medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add cumin and turmeric. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add zucchini and 3/4 cup cold water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Add lentils and tomatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tomatoes just start to collapse. Return sausages to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Meanwhile, bring 3 1/2 cups cold water to the boil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add polenta in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until grains are soft. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Spoon polenta onto plates. Top with sausage mixture and yoghurt. Serve.
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Claire Brookman and Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas