- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1kg Italian sausages, skins removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 x 800g can diced tomatoes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Ciabatta or sourdough (optional), to serve
- Step 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, sage and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onion is golden. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown.
- Step 2Add the tomato and wine, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in the parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Divide the sausage ragu among serving bowls and serve immediately with bread.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, place in a saucepan over low heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until heated through. Ciabatta is a crusty Italian bread.
- Author: Louise Pickford
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste