Author Notes: This is a variation of a braided sausage roll that I make every year as an appetizer for any holiday party I go to. The original recipe was passed through friends to my mom and it made it’s way to my hands on a recipe card, before there were fancy online facilities for such things. I have added more apple, cheese, and sage than the original recipe, as well as some cumin, which adds just a hint of smokiness to the mix. In addition changing the ratios and omitting the milk/Lowry’s wash, I have prepared this in mini muffin tins for just the right one-bite serving (though the original braided preparation is so pretty and very impressive).
I love this mix of apple, cheddar and sage in this sausage filling as it creates a perfect savory dish with a bit of sweetness and the mix of textures from the puff pastry is lovely. I hope you like it! —The Bon Appetit Diaries
Makes: 48 puffs
pound mild Italian sausage
medium onion, finely minced or grated
cups apple, peeled and grated, abt 2 small apples
cup sharp cheddar cheese
teaspoons dried sage
packet puff pastry (2 sheets)
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large pan and add onion. Cook until transluscent. Add sausage and garlic. As sausage cooks, break into very small pieces. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Strain off any excess grease.
- In a bowl combine sausage mixture and all other ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Roll each thawed puff pastry sheet into approx. a 13″x13″ square. Cut each sheet into 25 squares (5 columns across, 5 rows down)
- Grease each mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Put one puff pastry square into each compartment. Fill with sausage mixture (abt 2 tsp per puff)
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 min until corners of pastry are golden brown. Let cool 5 min and remove from tins, serve warm.