- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 300g beef mince
- 100g sausage mince
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 6 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease 2 large baking trays. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and mixed herbs. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add carrot and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Transfer mixture to a sieve. Press down to drain. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Step 2Place vegetable mixture, beef mince, sausage mince, barbecue sauce, 1 egg and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Step 3Cut 1 pastry sheet into 8 rectangles. Place 2 heaped teaspoons mince mixture on half of 1 rectangle, leaving 5mm border at edges. Fold pastry over mixture. Press edges to seal. Cut a small slit on top of pillow. Repeat with remaining pastry and mixture. Place on prepared trays.
- Step 4Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon cold water. Brush pillows with egg mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve with tomato sauce.
To freeze: Freeze pillows and scrolls at end of step 3 in a single layer in snap-lock bags for up to 3 months.
To bake: Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Place frozen pillows or scrolls on lightly greased baking trays. Continue from step 4.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas