- 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 415g can red salmon, drained, bones and skin removed, flaked
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Basic egg mix
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place a baking tray in oven. Use pastry to line base and side of a 4cm-deep, 24cm (base), loose-based fluted flan tin, trimming to fit. Prick base with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes or until firm. Place tin on hot baking tray in oven. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Step 2Combine salmon, peas, lemon rind and dill in a bowl. Arrange mixture in pastry case.
- Step 3Make Basic egg mix: Place eggs, cream and cheese in a large jug. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over salmon mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and just set. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Freezing pastry in the tin removes the need for ‘blind baking’ with baking paper and weights or uncooked rice.
If using non-stick pan or tin, there is no need to grease before adding pastry.
Stand quiche for 5 minutes before serving.
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas