- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons glucose syrup
- 125g butter, chopped
- 200g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup granulated nuts
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Step 1Grease pan a 4cm deep, 20cm (base) square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Step 2Place condensed milk, sugar, syrup and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, without boiling, for 10 minutes or until mixture is glossy and sugar has dissolved.
- Step 3Increase heat to medium-low. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cook, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and comes away from side of pan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, marshmallows, nuts and half the coconut. Mix until combined and chocolate melted. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining coconut, pressing with the back of a spoon to secure. Set aside for 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until firm.
- Step 4Cut into 2.5cm pieces. Serve.
- Diabetes friendly
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Use a heavy-based saucepan for even heat and to prevent fudge from sticking to the base and burning. Fudge sets quickly, so work fast when stirring in the chocolate and spreading it into the pan or it may seize. Store fudge in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Tip: Use cookie cutters to cut fudge into shapes such as stars, Christmas trees, rounds or flowers.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Cath Muscat
- Publication: Super Food Ideas