- 250g chargrilled eggplant slices
- 200g chargrilled zucchini slices
- 400g chargrilled capsicum slices (red and yellow, if possible)
- 100ml basil pesto (see notes)
- 375g packet of puff pastry
- 300g haloumi, sliced
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon parmesan
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Step 2If the chargrilled vegetables are from a deli, pat dry with paper towel.
- Step 3Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 20 x 30cm rectangle. Cut a 5cm strip from the pastry and set aside. Layer the vegetables and haloumi down 1 long side of the pastry, spreading a little pesto between each layer. Brush the outside edges of the pastry with a little water and fold over the other long side to enclose. Press edges together to seal, then tuck beneath strudle to form a parcel.
- Step 4Roll out the remaining pastry strip to increase width by 2cm. Cut lengthways into strips and use to garnish the strudel. Alternatively you can use a netting tool* to roll over the strip to form a lattice. Brush the pastry with the egg yolk and dust with the parmesan.
- Step 5Bake at 190°C for 25 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes before serving with remaining pesto.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
* From kitchenware stores.
To make pesto: Place 175g fresh basil, 50g pine nuts, 3 cloves garlic and 125g grated parmesan in a food processor and process to combine. Gradually add 200ml oil in a thin, steady stream and process until you have a smooth paste. Store in an airtight jar (with a layer of olive oil covering pesto), in the fridge for 5 days.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Prue Ruscoe
- Publication: Taste.com.au