- 500g parsnips, quartered
- 2 bunches baby (Dutch) carrots, trimmed or 500g carrots, halved, quartered
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 6 good-quality pork & fennel sausages
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 50g pitted green olives, chopped
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 pita breads, halved
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with foil.
- Step 2Place parsnip in a pan of cold, salted water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until almost tender, then add carrots and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to the baking tray. Scatter with chilli, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and season. Roast, turning, for 30 minutes. Add sausages and roast for a further 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Step 3Meanwhile, pulse parsley, lemon juice, mustard, olives and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a food processor to a coarse paste. Season to taste.
- Step 4Melt butter in a pan over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Brush the insides of the pitas with garlic butter. Slice sausages, then arrange in pitas with roasted vegetables, olive salsa and salad leaves.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
For an even quicker dinner, switch the olive salsa for good-quality pesto.
- Author: Phoebe Wood
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: delicious.