- 4 bulbs baby fennel
- 2 bunches Dutch (baby) carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled
- 6 sprigs lemon thyme
- 50g (1/4 cup) quinoa, (see note) rinsed, drained
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 75g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200C. Trim fennel stems to 2cm. Pick fronds from the trimmings, then discard the stems. Cut fennel bulbs into 1cm-thick slices, cutting lengthwise through the root end to keep slices intact.
- Step 2Place the fennel, carrots, garlic and thyme in a large roasting pan. Scatter with quinoa, drizzle with oil, then pour over 180ml (3/4 cup) water. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, turning halfway, or until the vegetables are tender and the quinoa is soft.
- Step 3Spoon onto a platter. Scatter with reserved fennel fronds and goat’s cheese. Serve at room temperature.
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Tip: Quinoa, from supermarkets and health food shops, is a grain native to South America.
Serves 8 as part of a banquet.
- Author: Sophia Young
- Image credit: William Meppem
- Publication: MasterChef