- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 sage leaves
- 1 (about 1.4kg) butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 2 brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 8 cups (2L) Massel chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Add the sage leaves and cook for 30 seconds or until they become crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Reserve the oil.
- Step 2Place pumpkin, apple, onion and garlic in a roasting pan. Drizzle with reserved oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven, turning occasionally, for 30 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Remove from oven.
- Step 3Remove garlic and set aside to cool. Transfer pumpkin mixture to a saucepan and add chicken stock. Squeeze the garlic pulp into the pumpkin mixture. Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and soup thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Transfer to the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cream and blend until well combined. Return to a clean saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through.
- Step 4Ladle among serving bowls. Top with sage leaves and serve immediately with crusty bread, if desired.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Notebook: