A Meat-free Monday delight: this eggcellent quiche is everything it’s cracked up to be!
- 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cubed
- 1 small red capsicum, thickly sliced
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup pure cream
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (or vegetarian hard cheese)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place baking tray on top shelf of oven. Line another baking tray with baking paper.
- Step 2Use pastry to line base and sides of a 2.5cm-deep, 11.5cm x 34cm (base), loose-based fluted tart pan. Prick base with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Step 3Place pumpkin, capsicum and onion on prepared tray. Spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on lower shelf of oven. Place tart pan on hot baking tray in oven. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until pastry is golden and vegetables are just tender. Remove tart pan and vegetables from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Step 4Place eggs, cream and cheese in a large jug. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables in pastry case. Pour over egg mix. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and just set. Top with coriander. Serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
Freezing pastry in the tin removes the need for ‘blind baking’ with baking paper and weights or uncooked rice.
If using non-stick pan or tin, there is no need to grease before adding pastry.
Stand quiche for 5 minutes before serving.
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas
Leave a Reply