- 3 long fresh red chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 (about 125g each) chicken legs, skin removed
- 600g Baby Cream Delight Potatoes, halved
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place chilli, rosemary, lemon rind, garlic and oil in a mortar and pound with a pestle until a coarse paste forms. Place chicken in a glass or ceramic dish. Rub evenly with the chilli mixture. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour to marinate.
- Step 2Transfer the chicken to 1 lined tray. Spray lightly with olive oil. Roast, turning once, for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place the potato and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain. Place on the other lined tray and spray with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Step 4Divide the chicken and potatoes among plates. Serve with salad leaves.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Top idea: Serve with a quick raita – combine low-fat Greek yoghurt, grated Lebanese cucumber, lemon juice, crushed garlic and chopped fresh mint.
Why red chillies?
- Higher in most nutrients than green chillies
- Excellent source of vitamin C
- Some anti-cancer compounds
- May give temporary relief from nasal and sinus congestion
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste