There’ll be no muttering around this vibrant tart – it’s something to shout about!
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 90g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 1 bunch (15 stalks) rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored, peeled, quartered, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Step 1Process flour, butter and caster sugar until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks and 1 tablespoon cold water. Process until pastry just comes together, adding an extra 2 teaspoons cold water if required. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth. Shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- Step 3Make filling: Place rhubarb, apple, sugar and cornflour in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Step 4Transfer filling to a 3cm-deep, 23cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dish. Place pastry between 2 sheets baking paper. Roll out until large enough to cover dish. Cover filling with pastry. Press edges to seal. Trim excess (see note).
- Step 5Using a sharp knife, cut a small cross in the top of pastry. Brush with milk. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Serve with ice-cream.
- High protein
- Low sodium
All nutrition values are per serve
Use excess pastry to make leaf shapes for decoration.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas
Leave a Reply