pounds red beets
cup apple cider vinegar
tablespoon sea salt
red onions if you are making shredded version
- When you are baying go for same size firm beets.
- Do not cut stems or roots, just wash well.
- Cook them for 40-60 min deepens on size, or until you can easily poke them with a fork.
- Drain and let beets cool so you can handle them easily.
- Cut off the roots and stems, skin supposes to slip easily.
- At this point, you can slice or shred beets.
- If it is slicing, go with 3-4 mm.
- If it is shredding, I use a mandolin, but any cheese grater will do, on 3 beets shred one red onion same size like a beet.
- Combine the vinegar, salt, sugar and water. Divide vinegar between slice and shredded beets.
- Let sit for 1 hour, taste and adjust seasoning.
- It gets better next day, you can kip in the frig for weeks.
1 of 2
2 of 2