- 1 large brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g pancetta, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1L (4 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 70g (1⁄3 cup) tri-coloured quinoa, rinsed
- 2 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
- 65g (2 1/2 cups) kale leaves, shredded
- 20g (1/4 cup) parmesan, finely grated
- 1 small garlic clove, halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- You will need a food processor for this recipe.
- Step 1Process the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the pancetta. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden. Add the vegetable mixture and bay leaf. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until soft. Cook, uncovered, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Step 2Add stock and tomato to pan. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in quinoa. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add borlotti beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until quinoa and zucchini are tender. Season with pepper.
- Step 3For the pesto, process the kale, parmesan and garlic until finely chopped. Combine the juice, oil and water in a jug. Add juice mixture, in a slow steady stream, to kale mixture, until well combined. Season. Divide soup among bowls. Top with pesto.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Kale pesto makes a delicious addition to many dishes. Toss it through warm short pasta for a speedy meal, spoon over grilled steak, or serve with poached eggs.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons & Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste Magazine