- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 small carrots, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine or water
- 700ml bottle tomato passata with basil (see note)
- 350g potato gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (40g) coarsely grated parmesan
- Step 1Heat oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add beef, celery and carrot, increase heat to high and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until beef browns. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add wine, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3-5 minutes until liquid has almost evaporated. Add passata and 1/2 cup (125ml) hot water. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Step 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Cook gnocchi according to packet instructions. Drain. Divide sauce among six 1 3/4-cup (435ml) capacity oval pie dishes. Top with gnocchi (in a single layer), scatter with thyme and parmesan, then bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Available from supermarkets.
- Author: Kate Tait
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: Taste.com.au