- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cooled mashed pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- Softened butter, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Grease a 12 hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan.
- Step 2Combine the flour, sugar, polenta, chilli and coriander in a bowl. Make a well in centre.
- Step 3Add milk, egg, oil and pumkin. Mix until just combined. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture evenly between holes of prepared pan. Top with pepitas.
- Step 4Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden and just firm to touch. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold with butter.
Muffins are best cooked on day of serving.
Avoid overmixing the muffin batter or it will result in a tough texture
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas