- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 100g frozen green beans, thawed, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- Garden salad, to serve
- 1 cup firmly packed baby rocket
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Step 1Make Rocket pesto Process rocket, garlic, parmesan and almonds in a food processor until finely chopped. With motor running, gradually add combined oil and lemon juice until mixture is almost smooth. Set aside.
- Step 2Place pumpkin in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 teaspoons water. Cover. Microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH (75%) for 5 to 6 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Drain. Return to bowl. Mash until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Step 3Roughly mash chickpeas and add to pumpkin with beans, onion, egg and flour. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Add enough oil to a large frying pan to cover the base. Heat over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup mixture into pan. Spread to form a 1cm-thick round. Repeat to make 3 more patties. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 12 patties. Serve with rocket pesto and salad.
Add a salad of mixed lettuce leaves and cherry tomatoes, and a dressing of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
Prepare in advance: Make step 1 of the recipe. Place pesto in a small glass jar. Cover surface with oil. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Author: Cathie Lonnie
- Image credit: Guy Bailey
- Publication: Super Food Ideas