- 300g dried rigatoni pasta
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 small (about 350g) eggplant, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 100g chargrilled capsicum, cut into 2cm-thick strips
- 100g prosciutto slices, halved crossways, halved again lengthways
- 25g (1/3 cup) shredded parmesan
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200ºC. Cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 8 minutes or until almost al dente. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat one-third of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook one-third of the eggplant for 2-3 minutes each side or until light golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining oil and eggplant, reheating pan between batches.
- Step 3Combine the tomato, passata and stock in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the pasta, eggplant, capsicum and prosciutto. Stir until well combined.
- Step 4Spoon the pasta mixture into a 2L (8-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the parmesan melts and is golden. Sprinkle with basil leaves.
- High protein
- Lower gi
Cook’s tip: For a different combination, replace the eggplant with 350g zucchini, sliced, and reduce the olive oil to 1 tablespoon.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste