- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 80g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour, sifted
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, lightly whisked
- 435ml (1 3/4 cups) milk
- 1 Masterfoods Vanilla Bean, split lengthways, seeds separated
- 3 egg yolks
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour, sifted
- Step 1Place the water and butter in a saucepan. Bring just to the boil. Remove from heat and use a wooden spoon to beat in flour until combined.
- Step 2Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from side of pan. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Step 3Gradually add egg, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until the dough is thick and glossy.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place heaped dessertspoonfuls of dough, about 3cm apart, on trays.
- Step 5Use wet hands to pat down any peaks of dough. Sprinkle trays with water to create steam. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Step 6Turn off oven. Use a knife to pierce the base of each profiterole. Place profiteroles in oven for 20 minutes to dry out. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Step 7For the creme patissiere, warm milk and the vanilla seeds in a saucepan. Whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick. Whisk in flour, then milk mixture.
- Step 8Return to pan and cook, whisking, over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Step 9Spoon creme patissiere in a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Push nozzle into the base of each profiterole and fill with creme patissiere.
Cook’s tips: Make pastry puffs to the end of step 6 up to 1 week ahead. Store in an airtight container.
On the day of serving, to make the profiteroles crisp, place on a baking tray and heat in oven at 200C for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Fill with creme patissiere.
5-minute chocolate sauce: For a speedy sauce, whip up this rich chocolate topping to pour over our creme-filled profiteroles. Place 200g finely chopped dark chocolate, 1 cup thickened cream and 1 tbs brown sugar in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring with a metal spoon, for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste