- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 3/4 cups pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 120g low-fat feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1kg (20) green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1/2 cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Step 1Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add barley. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add wine. Bring to a simmer. Stir in stock and 1 cup water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until barley is just tender.
- Step 2Meanwhile, gently toss fetta, mint, lemon rind and chilli together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Add prawns to barley risotto. Stir to combine. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until prawns are pink and just cooked through. Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan, peas and 1/2 the fetta mixture. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until peas are bright green and tender.
- Step 4Divide risotto among bowls. Top with fetta mixture. Serve.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas