For an easy crowd pleaser, try prawn and chorizo skewers with spinach rice pilaf.
- 2933 kj Energy
- 29g Fat Total
- 7g Saturated Fat
- 38g Protein
- 1053.79mg Sodium
- 4g Carbs (sugar)
- 70g Carbs (total)
Prawn and chorizo skewers with spinach rice pilafPrint Recipe
- 2 (about 250g) chorizo sausages
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) medium-grain rice
- 2 1/4 cups (310ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- 24 (about 600g) medium green prawns, peeled, cleaned leaving tails intact
- Mixed salad greens, to serve
- Step 1Preheat grill on high. Cook chorizo in a small saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well. Use a sharp knife to slice each sausage into 12 slices.
- Step 2Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, tomato and paprika, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until tomatoes are pulpy and liquid almost evaporates. Stir in rice and stock. Bring to the boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the spinach, replace lid and set aside for 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff rice and stir through spinach.
- Step 3Meanwhile, alternately thread chorizo and prawns among the skewers. Place skewers on an oiled oven tray. Brush with oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook under preheated grill, turning occasionally, for 7 minutes or until prawns change colour. Serve prawn and chorizo skewers with spinach rice pilaf and mixed salad greens, if desired.
- Author: Cynthia Black
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Notebook:
Leave a Reply