- 1 garlic clove
- 1.2kg waxy potatoes (such as Lady Cristl potatoes), peeled
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 tablespoons fresh continental parsley, chopped
- Step 1Prepare the dish: Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 2L (8-cup) capacity baking dish with butter. Rub the cut side of a halved garlic clove around the base and side of the dish. Thinly slice the potatoes crossways.
- Step 2Assemble the gratin: Arrange a layer of potato slices over the base of the dish, overlapping slightly. Drizzle over cream and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat to make 3 more layers, finishing with a layer of Swiss cheese.
- Step 3Cook until golden: Bake in oven for 1-1 1/4 hours or until the potato is tender and the top is golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to stand. Sprinkle parsley.
Serving tip: This is delicious with roasts, grilled meats, or slow-cooked dishes such as casseroles.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Janyon Boshoff
- Publication: Australian Good Taste