- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20g butter
- 2 leeks, pale section only, halved, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 250ml (1 cup) thin cream
- Fresh chives, finely chopped, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic and toss to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 18-20 minutes or until soft.
- Step 2Add the potato, stock and water to the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 25-30 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Step 3Transfer one-third of soup to the jug of a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining potato mixture.
- Step 4Place the soup over medium-low heat. Add the cream and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5Ladle among serving bowls. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.
Serves: 8 an an entree You can make this recipe up to the end of step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Continue from step 4 just before serving.
- Author: Alison Roberts
- Image credit: William Meppem
- Publication: Australian Good Taste