- 125ml (1/2 cup) light soy sauce
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 200g firm tofu, cut into 2cm pieces
- 100g punnet shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 600g pork scotch fillet, cut into 2cm-wide strips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into batons
- 100g sugar snap peas, ends trimmed
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 bunch choy sum, ends trimmed, finely shredded
- 1/2 baby wombok (Chinese cabbage), finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 12 bamboo skewers
- Step 1To make the yakitori marinade, combine the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and ginger in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 minute or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Place the base of the saucepan in iced water and set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Remove ginger from marinade. Discard ginger.
- Step 2Meanwhile, thread the tofu, mushroom and pork onto skewers. Place the skewers in a large glass or ceramic dish and pour over the yakitori marinade. Set aside for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Step 3Preheat grill on medium-high. Place the pork skewers on a baking tray. Cook under preheated grill for 4-5 minutes each side or until pork is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Step 4Meanwhile, make the vegetables: Heat the oil in a large wok over high heat until just smoking. Add the ginger and garlic, and stir-fry for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the carrot and sugar snap peas, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until sugar snap peas are bright green and tender crisp. Add the green shallot, choy sum, wombok, soy sauce and stock, and stir-fry for 1 minute or until choy sum and wombok just wilt. Remove from heat.
- Step 5Divide the wok-fried vegetables among serving plates. Top with pork skewers and serve immediately.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
You will need to soak 12 bamboo skewers in cold water for 15 minutes for this recipe.
- Author: Jane Charlton
- Image credit: Sue Ferris
- Publication: Australian Good Taste