- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 600g pork loin steaks, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 60g butter, chopped
- 100g baby spinach, shredded
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 240g (1 cup) sour cream
- Sweet paprika, to serve
- Step 1Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, then cook, in 2 batches, turning, for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Step 3Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, garlic and mushrooms, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until mushrooms are golden and tender.
- Step 4Meanwhile, to make potatoes, melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Increase heat to high, add potatoes, then season. Cook, tossing occasionally, for 6 minutes or until golden. Add spinach and parsley, and toss until spinach is just wilted.
- Step 5Add nutmeg, two-thirds of the sour cream and 125ml (1/2 cup) water to mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Add pork and cook for 4 minutes or until warmed through, then stir in remaining sour cream. Divide stroganoff and potatoes among bowls and sprinkle with paprika to serve.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Top tips: Substitute 600g chicken breasts for the pork.
For a variation, use a mixture of sliced mushrooms, such as button, portobello (large Swiss brown), pine and fresh shiitake.
- Author: Jessica Brook
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: MasterChef