- 8 pork loin steaks, halved lengthwise
- 140g (1/2 cup) Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grilled pita bread (optional), to serve
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (firmly packed) basil leaves
- 180g tub bocconcini, drained, torn
- You’ll need 16 x 25cm bamboo skewers, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Step 1Place pork, yoghurt, garlic, basil, parsley, lemon zest and oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then toss well to combine. Stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Step 2Thread pork lengthwise onto skewers. Lightly grease a chargrill pan or barbecue, then preheat to high. Cook skewers, turning, for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to make salad, whisk vinegar, sugar and oil in a large bowl until combined. Add tomatoes, onion, basil and bocconcini, and gently toss to combine. Season.
- Step 4Divide skewers and salad among plates. Serve with pita bread, if using.
A simple mix of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, caprese salad originates in Capri, Italy.
Top tips: For maximum flavour, marinate pork overnight in the fridge.
To grill pita bread, brush 2 split pita breads with olive oil, then chargrill for 30 seconds each side or until toasted.
This marinade works just as well with fish or chicken in other dishes.
- Author: Dominic Smith
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: MasterChef