- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) water
- 170g (1 cup) instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 40g (1/2 cup) shredded parmesan
- 80ml (1/3 cup) pouring cream
- 4 pork cutlets
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 100g baby rocket leaves
- 2 Beurre Bosc pears, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 35g (1/3 cup) walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Step 1Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the polenta in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until combined. Cook, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in the parmesan and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush the pork cutlets with 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside to rest.
- Step 3While the pork is cooking, combine the rocket, pear, walnut and onion in a large bowl. Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and the remaining olive oil. Gently toss until just combined.
- Step 4Divide the polenta and pear salad among serving plates. Top with the pork cutlets. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
For the kids: Omit the onion and vinegar. Replace rocket with 1 celery stick, thinly sliced. Reduce the oil to 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil. Add a little mayonnaise in step 3.
- Author: Leanne Kitchen
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste