- 1.8kg boneless pork belly, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 6 small red apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 100g Western Star Original Butter Salted
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons gravy powder
- 1/4 cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups (500ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- Mashed potatoes, to serve
- Green beans, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 230°C. Place the pork, skin-side up on a clean surface. Use a small sharp knife to score the rind of pork belly. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle evenly with salt and fennel seeds. Place in a roasting pan. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place apples, sugar, 80g of the butter and sage leaves in a roasting pan and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Reduce oven to 180°C. Roast pork for a further 40 minutes. Add the apples to the oven and roast for a further 35 minutes or until pork is cooked through and apples begin to collapse. Remove from oven and loosely cover with foil. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Step 4Reserve 1/2 cup (125ml) of excess fat from the pork roasting pan. Place reserved fat into a roasting pan and place over medium heat. Add the gravy powder and vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until well combined. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 6–8 minutes until sauce boils and thickens. Add remaining butter and cook, stirring, until butter melts and sauce is well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5Slice the pork belly, and serve with the roasted apples, and cider gravy.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: taste.com.au
- Image credit: Craig Wall
- Publication: Taste.com.au