- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg pork sausage mince
- 2 cups (140g) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 4 sheets (25cm) ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed, halved
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon MasterFoods® Fennel Seed Whole
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the fennel and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until fennel softens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Step 2Combine fennel mixture, sausage mince and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Season with pepper. Fit a large piping bag with a 2cm plain nozzle. Place the sausage mixture into the piping bag. Pipe the sausage mixture down the edge of a pastry sheet. Roll to enclose. Brush a little egg on the end to secure. Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into 4cm lengths. Place on the tray. Continue with remaining mince and pastry sheets. Brush with remaining egg and sprinkle with fennel seeds. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Step 3Bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden and cooked through. Serve warm or at room temperature on a serving platter.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Notebook: