- 1kg lean beef mince
- 100g (1/2 cup) Basmati rice
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 large zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 x 800g can diced tomatoes
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 Turkish bread loaf, split
- 130g Jarlsberg cheese, thinly sliced
- Step 1Combine the mince, rice, carrot, zucchini and herbs in a large bowl. Roll heaped tablespoonfuls of the mince mixture into balls. Place on a plate.
- Step 2Place the tomato, water and tomato paste in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Add meatballs. Reduce heat to medium.
- Step 3Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender and sticking out of the meatballs.
- Step 4Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. Place bread on a baking tray. Cook under grill for 2-3 minutes or until toasted. Turn the bread over and top with cheese. Cook under grill for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Step 5Use a serrated knife to cut the toast into fingers. Serve with the meatballs.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
How to roll meatballs Use a tablespoon to scoop out even portions of mince mixture, then roll between clean hands to shape into balls.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste