Author Notes: I invited the neighbors over for a cocktail one evening, only to realize that I had nothing to offer in the way of nibble food. When I looked in the pantry, I saw a small can of salmon, and decided to substitute canned salmon instead of fresh smoked mullet that I usually use for fish spread. It was great.
This is a dish that is quick and easy to make, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand at any time.
I use soy products instead of milk, but it works fine with real sour cream and real cream cheese as well. I am not too particular about the brand of canned salmon, although I do try to buy skinless and boneless, and I like the Black Top Pink Salmon, because it is a product of the USA.
Poor Man’s Fish SpreadPrint Recipe
- MIX TOGETHER
- 6 ounce can skinless, boneless pink salmon
- 1/2 finely diced small Vidalia onion (or sweet onion)
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons soy cream cheese (or real)
- 2 tablespoons soy sour cream (or real)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 splashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 splashes Crystal Hot Sauce
- 2 pinches ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill
- PUT IN A MOUND ON PLATE, CHILL AND GARNISH WITH
- 3 pinches paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 finely chopped small Vidalia onion (or sweet onion)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe