- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 large celery stick, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 12 baby chipolata sausages
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 150ml red wine
- 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 200g (1 1/3 cups) instant polenta
- 40g butter
- 100g grated parmesan cheese
- Step 1Place the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add sausages and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Step 3Add vegetables to the pan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for a further minute. Add the wine, tomatoes, pesto, sugar and oregano. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid, add sausages and cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is thick. Stir in the basil.
- Step 4Meanwhile, bring 1 litre of water to the boil. Reduce heat to low and add polenta in a slow, steady stream. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and half the parmesan. Season well. Place polenta on each plate, top with casserole and garnish with basil. Serve with remaining parmesan.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au