- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry sherry
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 whole star anise
- 8 (about 1kg) chicken thigh fillets
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 4 green onions, trimmed, finely shredded
- 1 cup large mint leaves, finely shredded
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced diagonally
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Step 1Combine lemon juice, honey, sesame oil, Chinese five spice, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon sherry in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Step 2Combine the ginger, star anise, remaining soy sauce and sherry in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and place over high heat. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 3Combine the lettuce, green onion, mint and celery in a large bowl. Drizzle with half the dressing and gently toss to combine.
- Step 4Thinly slice the chicken. Place the salad among serving bowls. Top with chicken and drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve immediately with steamed rice, if desired.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Notebook: