Author Notes: This lightly seasoned chutney is one of my favorite creations. It is lightly spiced with overtones of star anise, cumin and fennel balanced out with a healthy dose of ginger. I personally like to pair this with simple broiled fish, it also probably works well with grilled chicken. I shall let you decide how you want to play and work with this creation. —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
Makes: 1 cup
teaspoon fennel seeds
teaspoon black mustard seeds
teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
tablespoon freshly grated ginger
plums, stoned and chopped
cup pure maple syrup
- Heat the oil and add in the fennel seeds and the mustard seeds and wait till the mustard begins to pop.
- Add in the star anise, red chili pepper flakes, ginger and the salt and mix well.
- Stir in the red plums and mix well
- Stir in the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add in the maple syrup and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Poach this for about 15 minutes, you should get a fairly chunky and thick chutney.
- You may remove the star anise before serving if desired.