Author Notes: This recipe I got from my best friend Henrietta a few years ago.
She lives now in Israel. We talk on the phone very often.
I adjusted some of the ingredients, techniques’ and measurements according
to our American standards.
Ingredients for the dough:
• 1 pound all purpose flour
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3 sticks room temperature butter
• 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
• 3 extra large eggs room temperature
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• Zest of 1 lemon
.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift the flour, baking soda and salt to a bowl
In another bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add the eggs one at the time
Add vanilla and lemon zest
Fold in the flour in 3-4 portions until the dough is smooth (don’t overmix)
Transfer the dough to your largest pan (I use a glass pan about 2 inches deep)
With your fingers lightly press in evenly the dough
Bake on the middle rack of the oven about 50-60 minutes until light golden brown.
If the top gets brown to fast, cover with foil
Ingredients for the pineapple filling:
• 28 OZ can Pineapple cut in rounds in juice
• Juice of 2 lemons
Strain in a calendar all of the pineapple juice, mix with lemon juice
Pour all over the cake while it’s still worm
Sat aside to cool and absorb the juice
Orange the pineapple circles all over the top of the cake
Ingredients for the frosting:
• 8oz cold Mascarpone cheese
• 2 cups crème fraiche
• 1cup superfine sugar
• 2 tablespoons dark rum
• Zest of one lemon
1. Wisk Mascarpone cheese with the sugar until very smooth
2. Wisk in crème fraiche, rum and lemon zest
3. Fill a pastry bag with the frosting and cover completely the cake in any decorative pattern you like