- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry, slightly thawed, halved
- 1 eggwhite
- 2 small zucchini, cut lengthways into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (70g) frozen peas, thawed on paper towel
- 40g Persian feta*
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 220°C. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Step 2Place the puff pastry halves on the prepared tray and prick all over using a fork. Place in the freezer until ready to use. Place a baking sheet or a pizza stone in the oven to heat.
- Step 3Whisk eggwhite in a bowl until frothy, then add zucchini, onion and peas, and season with black pepper. The eggwhite stops the vegetables from over-browning.
- Step 4Remove the pastry from the freezer and divide the zucchini mixture between pastry rectangles, leaving a 1cm border, then top with pieces of feta. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the baking paper with the tarts to the hot baking sheet. Bake the tarts for 15-18 minutes until the pastry base is crisp and sides are golden brown.
- Step 5Scatter with mint and drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve with a baby cos, avocado and tomato salad, if desired.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
* Persian feta is available from selected delicatessens and cheese shops.
- Author: Kate Tait
- Image credit: Petrina Tinslay
- Publication: delicious.